Every fall, Megaphone vendors offer you a peek into their world through the Hope in Shadows Calendar.
The photos featured in the calendar are taken during an annual photography contest where Megaphone vendors use single-use disposable cameras to capture images of their communities. The top photos are selected by a community jury, vendors and supporters, and published in the award-winning Hope in Shadows calendar, which is sold on the streets of Vancouver and Victoria by Megaphone's homeless and low-income vendors. Vendors buy each calendar for $10 and sell them for $20, keeping the profit.
This year's Hope in Shadows Calendar is available now from your local vendor. Click here to download the Megaphone App to locate a vendor near you or to pay your vendor by credit card. If you live outside Vancouver or Victoria, you can buy your calendar online here.
If you or someone you know is interested in taking part in next year’s photo contest but is not yet a vendor, click here to learn how to become one.
Hope in Shadows voting & awards ceremony
The winning photographs are revealed every year in an award ceremony in the Downtown Eastside after voting in the neighbourhood and vendor community, and input from Megaphone supporters across the province.
The award ceremony happens every year in Vancouver and Victoria in early October. Community, vendors, sponsors and volunteers gather to celebrate the release of the calendar and award cash prizes for the top 30 photographs, 13 of which are selected for publication in the calendar.
Five things you can do to support Hope in Shadows
- Become a sponsor: financially support the calendar project and have your business or favourite charity featured on a month in the calendar. More details here.
- Join us as a calendar depot: businesses across Vancouver and Victoria stock calendars so their local vendors can restock without travelling all the way back to the Megaphone office. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to set it up.
- Buy the calendar from a vendor: click here to find where vendors sell near you.
- Volunteer: volunteers help us coordinate the contest, facilitate voting, and prepare and host the award ceremony. To help out with this and other Megaphone projects, click here.
- Spread the word: get on social media and encourage your friends and family to support their Megaphone vendor with a purchase today. #HopeInShadows
Thank you to the sponsors who make Hope in Shadows possible!
Thanks to our Hope in Shadows sponsors who make this project possible:
Willow Grove Foundation