Thank you for your interest in working with Megaphone. We currently have one temporary job posting open to a student: Summer Project Coordinator. Sign up for Megaphone updates to make sure you don't miss a posting!
Summer Project Coordinator - Hope in Shadows
Megaphone is an award-winning social enterprise that offers meaningful work and community connection to people experiencing poverty and homelessness in Vancouver and Victoria. Megaphone is a small but feisty organization that works with more than 200 marginalized people in British Columbia every year through its vendor, photography, and writing workshop programs. We are committed to empowering people and creating positive social change in our communities.
The Summer Project Coordinator – Hope in Shadows is a 12-week contract position, pending funding from Canada Summer Jobs. This position is responsible for coordinating Megaphone’s Hope in Shadows summer project, an annual photography contest open to Megaphone's homeless and low-income vendors. Winning photos go into the annual Hope in Shadows calendar, which is sold by Megaphone's vendors alongside Megaphone Magazine. This position will also involve inter-organizational tasks related to Megaphone’s vendor program, events, fundraising, and communications. The role will report to the Executive Director and work closely with both the Editor & Vendor Coordinator.
This role requires highly organized self-starter with strong writing and thoughtful communication skills.
Photography Contest Coordination
- Coordinate logistics for Hope in Shadows camera contest, including camera preparation; participant recruitment
- Coordinate photography workshops
- Lead logistics on community judging process (jury, community vote, online vote)
Calendar Content Creation
- Coordinate with Megaphone Editor to:
- Conduct Interviews with winning photographers and subjects
- Manage volunteer transcribers
- Transcribe interviews
- Write, edit, and proof calendar content
- Vendor program data entry and tracking
- Photography contest data entry and tracking
- File and manage contact information and consent forms
Vendor Program Support
- Assist vendor coordinator with new vendor orientation sessions
- Work shifts on the Megaphone vendor sales desk
- Assist with monthly Megaphone vendor meetings
- Support vendor coordinator with implementing vendor recruitment and retention plan: Distribute posters and flyers about vendor program to SROs, service agencies and food lines
- Promote Megaphone at community events
This position will also participate in inter-organizational tasks and meetings as needed.
These are the non-negotiables. You’ll need these to succeed.
- A valid driver’s license – this job requires regular driving
- Ability to lift and carry - this job regularly requires lifting 25lb to 50lb
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Highly-organized and detail-oriented
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Ability to work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Experience working with people who are homeless/in poverty, or personal lived experience of poverty/homelessness
- Compassionate, respectful, and non-judgmental approach to working with people experiencing multiple barriers (mental health challenges; addictions; homelessness; trauma)
- Independent self-starter, with the ability to take the lead on projects and manage competing priorities and deadlines
- Strong competency with computers, including email, MS Office (Excel, Word) and social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
- Under 30 years of age at the start of employment*
- Have been registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year*
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act*
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations*
*Pending funding from Canada Summer Jobs, which has these requirements.
The right candidate will tick some of these boxes, but don’t feel you need all of these to apply.
- Photography experience an asset
- Workshop facilitation experience an asset
- Event coordination experience an asset
- Basic graphic design skills an asset
- Knowledge of CRM platforms an asset (we use Nationbuilder)
- Journalistic or previous interviewing skills an asset
Megaphone recognizes the importance of an inclusive workplace and a diverse workforce. We welcome and encourage all people to apply, including people of diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds; LGBTQ2+ identified persons; women; people with disabilities; and people with lived experience of issues on which Megaphone is working to change the public conversation: such as poverty, mental illness, homelessness, or our colonial legacy.
This is a temporary contract, for which we have applied for Canada Summer Jobs funding. If funding is not approved, hours may be reduced to 24 hours/week.
Expected start date: Early May 2017
Hours: 30 hours/week; 12 weeks
*Please note: this position is pending funding approval from Canada Summer Jobs
Closing Date: Deadline for applications is Monday, May 1st at 5 p.m.
Interviews: Interviews will be conducted in person at our Vancouver office on May 2nd and 3rd.
To Apply: Please send a single PDF of your resume and cover letter with your full name and “Summer Coordinator” as the subject of the email to email@example.com. Please name your PDF file following the format “Firstname_Lastname_Megaphone.pdf”
We thank all applicants for their interest in working with Megaphone. Only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
121 Heatley Ave.