Thank you for your interest in working with Megaphone. We currently have one job posting for an Assistant Vendor Coordinator based in Vancouver. Sign up for Megaphone updates to make sure you don't miss a posting!
Assistant Vendor Coordinator - Megaphone Magazine
Deadline for applications is Wednesday, September 6th at 5:00 p.m.
Megaphone is an award-winning social enterprise that provides an economic opportunity and a voice to people experiencing poverty and homelessness in Vancouver and Victoria. Megaphone is a small, but feisty organization that works with more than 200 people marginalized by poverty in British Columbia every year through its vendor and writing workshop programs. We are committed to empowering people and creating social change in our communities.
The Assistant Vendor Coordinator is a temporary contract position with Megaphone that supports the Vendor Coordinator in Vancouver. The position will work directly with vendors - people who are homeless and low income, who sell Megaphone Magazine and Megaphone’s Hope in Shadows calendar to earn an income. You will support the Vendor Coordinator to recruit and train vendors, deliver direct vendor service, and fulfill administrative, communication, and inter-organizational tasks. You will lead logistics on calendar and magazine distribution, ensuring our calendar depots are stocked with inventory. This role is based out of Megaphone’s Downtown Eastside Vancouver office.
Hours of work: Approximately 500 hours or 30-40 hours per week from mid-September to mid-January, with the bulk of hours from September to December. Regular work hours are Monday to Friday 9am-5pm, but will include some evening and weekend work. This role requires availability through the busy holiday season, including the time between December 25 and 31.
- Direct Vendor Services
- Support Vendor Coordinator to run orientations and trainings for new vendors
- Offer coaching and sales support to vendors
- Support Vendor Coordinator to run monthly vendor meetings
- Support Vendor Coordinator to administer vendor incentives (eg. Vendor Gear)
- Support Vendor Coordinator to resolve vendor conflicts and code of conduct violations
- Recruitment and Retention
- Outreach to recruit new vendors through postering, flyering, and events
- Support Vendor Coordinator to run vendor skills training workshops and mentorship program
- Work with Vendor Coordinator to organize vendor team building events, including Vendor Holiday Dinner
- Support Vendor Coordinator to implement retention strategies for new vendors
- Support Vendor Coordinator to develop new sales locations for vendors
- Calendar Depot Administration
- Coordinate distribution of calendars and magazines to Megaphone’s 10+ depots around Vancouver and North Vancouver
- Manage detailed inventory records
- Deliver calendars to depots by car. This position requires frequent delivery driving around the city of Vancouver and frequent heavy lifting.
- Administration and Organizational Support
- Operate sales desk (where vendors purchase papers) and keep accurate records
- Complete daily cashouts
- Prepare regular sales cash deposits
- Track and analyze vendor sales performance using Salesforce
- Support Vendor Coordinator to document vendor code of conduct incidents and track disciplinary records
- Attend regular staff meetings
- Support organizational events and fundraising as needed
Requirements – the right candidate will tick all of these boxes
- Passion for social justice and supporting Megaphone’s vendors
- Direct experience working or volunteering with people who are homeless, low-income, or otherwise marginalized AND/OR personal experience of homelessness and poverty
- Compassionate, respectful, and non-judgmental approach to working with people experiencing multiple barriers (mental health challenges; addictions; homelessness; trauma)
- Outgoing, confident, and enthusiastic
- Independent, self-starter. The successful candidate will be able to identify challenges and nimbly solve problems independently
- Excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills. Ability to comfortably interact with people of all ages, economic status, and cultural backgrounds.
- A valid Class 5 driver’s license and comfort with frequent driving and parking in city traffic
- Ability to lift 25-50 lb (10-25 kilos) frequently
- Effective time management, a high level of detail-oriented organization, and ability to prioritize
- Strong competency with computers, including MS Office (Excel, Word) and Google Suite (Gmail, Calendar, Google Docs)
- Ability to work independently to manage competing priorities and deadlines
Ideal Qualifications – the right candidate will tick some of these boxes, but don't let these stop you from applying
- Conflict de-escalation training or experience
- Sales and or/community organizing training or experience
- Familiarity and experience using database software (we use Nationbuilder and Salesforce)
- Experience with inventory management
- Experience with cash handling, including completing accurate cashouts and bank deposits
- Experience with public speaking and/or group facilitation
- Coaching experience
- Access to own laptop computer
- Experience with data input and analysis
This is a four month contract position, from mid-September to mid-January, with the bulk of hours between September and December.
DEADLINE: Deadline for applications is Wednesday, September 6th at 5:00 p.m.
Interviews: We expect to conduct interview for this position the week of September 11th, 2017.
Expected Start Date: September 18, 2017.
Please send your resume and cover letter as a single PDF to email@example.com with the position title and your name as the subject of the email. Please follow the format AssistantVC_firstname_lastname to name your resume and cover letter file (Eg. AssistantVC_Firstname_Lastname.pdf).
We thank all applicants for their interest in working with Megaphone. Only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
Megaphone promotes a workplace that actively seeks to include, welcome and value unique contributions of all people, and recognizes the importance of an inclusive workplace and diverse workforce. We welcome and encourage all people to apply, including people of diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds; LGBTQ2+ identified persons; women; people with disabilities; and people with lived experience of issues on which Megaphone is working to change the public conversation: such as poverty, mental illness, homelessness, or our colonial legacy.
429 Alexander Street