Thank you for your interest in working with Megaphone. We currently have one job posting: Communications Coordinator. Sign up for Megaphone updates to make sure you don't miss a posting!
Apply by Monday, January 30th at 4 p.m.
Megaphone is an award-winning social enterprise that provides an economic opportunity and a voice to people experiencing poverty and homelessness in Vancouver and Victoria. Megaphone is a small, but feisty organization that works with more than 200 marginalized people in British Columbia every year through its vendor and writing workshop programs. We are committed to empowering people and creating social change in our communities.
The Communications Coordinator is a full-time, 1 year contract position. Reporting to the Executive Director, Megaphone’s Communications Coordinator is responsible for building Megaphone’s presence across digital and traditional media channels to raise the organization’s profile and to support program, advocacy, and fundraising goals. This role requires the ability to move between big picture strategic thinking and day-to-day execution in both the traditional and digital media sphere. The ideal candidate is a team player who understands how to create and distribute engaging content to expand our network of customers and supporters, and empower them to take action.
This is a new position for Megaphone. What that means is that we want to find a person who cares about the work we do and who is a great fit with our team and culture. We’re looking for someone motivated and ambitious to grow into the role, and make it their own. Below is how our vision for the position is shaping up, based on our current needs.
- to support Megaphone vendors to earn income through meaningful work;
- to build understanding across economic divides and build support to end poverty; and
- to advocate for solutions at all levels of government and programming that create more just and inclusive communities.
- Work with Executive Director to build a comprehensive marketing and communications strategy to raise organizational profile, reach new supporters, and engage existing supporters
- With staff support, draft blog posts, press releases, emails, fundraising materials, and other digital and print content
- Work with staff to develop key program and campaign messages
- With staff support, coordinate media releases and press events, and respond to media enquiries
- Create shareable content that communicates Megaphone’s mission and key messages
- Manage Megaphone’s website, email lists, and social media platforms and grow our online community
- Coordinate with designers, videographers, photographers, and other creative professionals to develop digital and print assets
- Track website analytics and report on trends
- Work with Community Outreach and Development staff to support development and execution of fundraising campaigns and event promotion
- Work with staff on organizational projects as needed
These are the non-negotiables. You’ll need these to succeed.
- Passion for social justice and supporting Megaphone’s vendors
- Strong written communications skills and experience writing for multiple audiences and platforms
- Effective time management, a high level of organization, and ability to prioritize to meet multiple deadlines
- A track record of successfully growing online communities and executing digital advocacy and/or fundraising campaigns
- Experience developing marketing and communications plans
- Knowledge of diverse digital platforms, digital marketing strategies, acquisition and fundraising campaigns.
- Experience working with CRM databases and/or email marketing platforms
- Experience developing and executing social media strategies
- Independent and creative self-starter able to work cooperatively in a flexible office environment
The right candidate will tick some of these boxes, but there’s room to grow in the position.
- Experience managing and coordinating media calls and press events an asset
- Experience with Nationbuilder an asset
- Basic graphic design, photography, and audio/video editing skills a significant asset
- Experience with Google analytics and other digital tracking tools an asset
- Experience designing and executing online list acquisition and fundraising campaigns an asset
- A full driver’s license is an asset
Megaphone recognizes the importance of an inclusive workplace and a diverse workforce. We welcome and encourage all people to apply, including people of diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds; LGBTQ2+ identified persons; women; people with disabilities; and people with lived experience of issues on which Megaphone is working to change the public conversation: such as poverty, mental illness, homelessness, or our colonial legacy.
This is a one-year contract position with a salary between $45,000 and $47,000 to start (commensurate with experience) with the possibility of extension. This position is eligible for 3 weeks paid annual vacation and is eligible to enroll in Megaphone’s health benefits program.
Closing Date: Deadline for applications is Monday, January 30th at 4:00 p.m.
Interviews: Interviews will be conducted in person at our Vancouver office on February 1st and 2nd.
Ideal start date: Friday February 17th.
Please send a PDF of your resume and cover letter (filename following the format “Megaphone_Firstname_Lastname.pdf”) with your full name and the position as the subject of the email, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working with Megaphone. Only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
121 Heatley Ave.