Thank you for your interest in working with Megaphone. We currently have one open job posting for a Communications and Development Coordinator in Vancouver, B.C. Sign up for Megaphone updates to make sure you don't miss a posting!
Communications and Development Coordinator
Closing Date: July 2
Megaphone is an award-winning social enterprise that provides an economic opportunity and a voice to people experiencing poverty and homelessness in Vancouver and Victoria. Megaphone is a small, but feisty organization that works with more than 200 marginalized people in British Columbia every year through its vendor, writing workshop, and speakers bureau programs. We are committed to empowering people and creating social change in our communities.
- to support Megaphone vendors to earn income through meaningful work;
- to build understanding across economic divides and build support to end poverty; and
- to advocate for solutions at all levels of government and programming that create more just and inclusive communities.
The Communications and Development Coordinator is a full-time contract position with Megaphone that oversees fundraising, events and communications and reports to the Executive Director.
The Communications and Development Coordinator will oversee and implement Megaphone’s outreach to build and retain donors, customers and supporters. This role will oversee the planning and execution of Megaphone fundraising, events and communications, and manage the implementation of Megaphone’s marketing plan. The Communications and Development Coordinator is based out of Megaphone’s office in the Downtown Eastside of Vancouver.
We’re looking for:
The right candidate will have a keen sense of storytelling to drive action, with the ability to create and communicate compelling narratives to attract customers, funding and support. They will be a bridge-builder, connecting our vendor community and their stories with supporters. They will build strong relationships that embody Megaphone’s organizational personality: warm, friendly, smart and compassionate. They will seek creative solutions and adapt to situations by problem-solving on the fly. The ideal candidate is a team player who understands how to create and distribute high-quality, engaging content to expand our network of donors and customers and empower them to take action. We’re looking for someone self-motivated, ambitious, perceptive and creative.
Fundraising, Development, and Events. Megaphone supporters make our programs possible, and your job will be to motivate people to get involved: to buy Megaphone, to donate, to engage in the Megaphone community, and to be advocates for change. You will:
- Design and lead Megaphone’s fundraising drives and new donor acquisition including direct mail, email campaigns, social media and magazine advertisements
- Organize and lead Megaphone’s public events: including Big Sell, Voices of the Street launch, Hope in Shadows launch, and Breakfast Fundraiser
- Facilitate vendor participation in Megaphone events as speakers, emcees, panelists, event support and greeters as appropriate
- Process, manage and analyze donations and donor records using Nationbuilder, Facturly and other tools
- Manage donor recognition and acknowledgement, and lead team to find creative ways to thank and retain donors
- Plan, coordinate, and write grant applications and reports
- Manage current sponsorships and seek new sponsor opportunities
Communications and Marketing. This role requires the ability to move between big-picture strategic thinking and day-to-day execution in both the traditional and digital media and marketing sphere. The ideal candidate is a team player who understands how to create and distribute engaging content to expand our network of customers and donors, and empower them to take action. You will:
- With staff and contractor support, draft blog posts, press releases, social media posts, emails, fundraising materials, and other digital and print content
- Coordinate promotion of Megaphone products, including Voices of the Street and Hope in Shadows
- Work with the Executive Director and staff support to coordinate media releases and press events, and respond to media enquiries
- Work with Executive Director to implement marketing plan and communications strategy
- With staff support, manage updates to Megaphone’s website, email lists, and social media platforms
Administration. We’ll need someone who can keep accurate records, handle cash, use technology effectively to stay organized and use program data to make decisions. You will:
- Track and analyze donations, event RSVPs, and email blasts using Nationbuilder
- Manage tax receipts and donor records using Facturly and Nationbuilder
- Update best practices and policy documents as needed
- Protect vendor, donor and supporter privacy and comply with applicable anti-spam legislation
Organizational. You’ll be a face for Megaphone in the community, and play a key role in building trust and relationships with supporters and potential supporters. You’ll pitch in on organizational projects as a key team member. You will:
- Attend regular team meetings and be an active participant
- Represent Megaphone at public events
- Voice development and communications needs at organizational meetings
- Participate in organizational strategic planning
- Support the vendor program and your Megaphone colleagues’ work as needed: take shifts on the vendor desk or at event tables, support monthly vendor meetings, occasionally run Vendor Advisory Board meetings, etc.
These are the non-negotiables. You’ll need these to succeed.
We’re seeking candidates who excel in telling stories to drive action, building relationships, finding creative routes around roadblocks, creating compelling campaigns and working independently. You should have/be:
- Experience developing and implementing donor programs and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience. An ability to develop innovative fundraising ideas that reflect Megaphone’s mandate and supporter composition. You are comfortable making direct asks for donations and interacting with a variety of supporters in both casual and formal settings
- Excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills. Ability to comfortably interact with people from all economic statuses and cultural backgrounds, and comfort networking at events. You are able to write engaging, error-free copy that motivates action.
- Experience developing communications/marketing materials. This role will work with designers to create promotional materials: event programs, donor letters, advertisements, social media graphics, and more. Maybe you have graphic design experience or maybe you have an eye for design and the ability to work with designers to make it happen.
- Outgoing, confident, and enthusiastic. You’ll be a face for Megaphone, and the main person many donors and community partners associate with the organization. You know that we can best reach our goals by building mutually beneficial relationships. You don’t shy away from picking up the phone to brainstorm collaboration opportunities with community organizations or reaching out to get a coffee with a potential supporter.
- Compassionate, respectful, and non-judgmental approach to working with people experiencing multiple barriers. You understand the systemic aspects of marginalization, and that to support anyone to meet their goals, you’ve got to meet them where they are. You treat all people of all backgrounds and experiences with care and respect
- Independent and creative self-starter: This position will oversee the donor program and marketing plan. We’re a small team and you'll have a lot of autonomy. We need everyone to be able to push forward their own work, ask for help when they need it and stay motivated to get things done.
- Creative problem-solver: You relish a challenge where there’s no obvious way forward. You’re not the type to wait for someone to break down a barrier: You find a way around it. Never done something before that needs doing? You’ll dive in and use your resources to figure out the best way.
- Ability to manage competing priorities. As you work to build campaigns, plan events, retain donors and customers through stewardship, and execute Megaphone’s marketing plan, there will be a lot of possible ways to use your time. You have the judgment and discipline to stay focused on priorities.
- Strong competency with computers, including MS Office (Excel, Word) and social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram). We use technology extensively to do our work, from MS Office and Google Suite to Salesforce and Nationbuilder. As a team of 5, we don’t have an IT department, so you will need to be very comfortable with computers and common programs, tech-literate, and able to problem-solve and learn quickly.
Ideal Qualifications The right candidate will tick some of these boxes, but there’s room to grow in the position. You don’t need all these to apply.
- A valid full class 5 driver’s license.
- Experience with database platforms (we use NationBuilder)
- Graphic design education or experience
- Photography, photo editing and/or videography education or experience
- Experience in event planning and production
- Experience with public speaking
- Conflict de-escalation training or experience
- Access to own laptop computer
Closing Date: The deadline for applications is Monday July 2 at 11:00 PM.
Interviews: We expect first-round interviews will be conducted at our Vancouver office the week of July 2nd. Depending on the results of the first round of interviews, second interviews may take place the following week.
Start Date: The ideal start date for this position is late July.
Job details: Full-time, 1 year contract, with the strong likelihood of extension.
Salary Range: Starting salary range for this position is $47,000-50,000 per year, based on experience and qualifications.
Benefits: A small team environment with opportunities for learning, creativity, and growth. A mix of community-facing and independent work. The opportunity to be part of a dynamic, thoughtful group working to make our communities more just and more inclusive, one magazine at a time. Three weeks annual vacation and extended health benefits after three months.
Please send your resume and cover letter as a single PDF to Jessica Hannon at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications and Development Coordinator Application” in the subject of the email. Please follow the format CDfirstname_lastname to name your file (Eg. CDJessica_Hannon.pdf). We thank all applicants for their interest in working with us. Due to the volume of applications expected, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
Megaphone recognizes the importance of an inclusive workplace and a diverse workforce. We welcome and encourage all people to apply, including people of diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds; LGBTQ2+ identified persons; women; people with disabilities; and people with lived experience of issues on which Megaphone is working to change the public conversation, including: poverty, mental illness, homelessness, or our colonial legacy.
DEADLINE: July 2nd at 11:00PM