Thank you for your interest in working with Megaphone.
Vendor Program Assistant - September 2019
Deadline for Applications: September 22nd, 2019 at 11:59 PM
Megaphone is an award-winning social enterprise that provides economic opportunities and platforms to amplify the voices of people experiencing poverty and homelessness in Vancouver and Victoria.
Megaphone is a small, but feisty organization that works with more than 200 people marginalized by poverty in British Columbia every year through its vendor, speakers bureau and writing workshop programs. We are committed to empowering people and creating social change in our communities.
The Vendor Program Assistant is a temporary, part-time contract position with Megaphone in Vancouver. The position will work directly with vendors - people who are homeless and low income, who sell Megaphone Magazine and the Hope in Shadows calendar to earn income. You will work with the Vendor Coordinator, Operations Coordinator and Megaphone staff to manage calendar and magazine inventory, support vendors to sell Megaphone and Hope in Shadows, and recruit new vendors. You will also fulfill administrative, communication, and inter-organizational tasks. This role is based out of Megaphone’s Downtown Eastside Vancouver office.
Hours of work: Approximately 300 hours from late September 2019 to mid-late January 2020, with the bulk of hours from October to December. This position will typically work 2-3 days per week on a mutually agreeable schedule, with most hours taking place between Monday and Friday between 9 am and 5pm, though there may be some weekend and evening work required.
Sales Depot Administration
- Coordinate distribution of calendars and magazines to Megaphone’s 10+ depots around Vancouver, North Vancouver, and Victoria.
- Perform data input and manage detailed inventory records
- Manage cash from depot sales
- Deliver calendars to depots by car. This position requires frequent delivery driving around the city of Vancouver and North Vancouver and frequent heavy lifting (25-50lbs)
- Perform vendor communication duties (e.g., phone calls)
- Work with the Vendor Coordinator to organize logistics for vendor support and events, including monthly meetings, workshops, and the Vendor Holiday Dinner
- Outreach to recruit new vendors (postering, flyering, events)
- Support Vendor Coordinator to document, track and resolve vendor Code of Conduct issues
- On-site visits to vendor sales locations to support vendors
Administration and Organizational Support
- Operate sales desk (where vendors purchase product) and keep accurate records
- Complete daily cashouts
- Manage and ship online orders
- Attend regular staff meetings
- Support organizational events and fundraisers as needed
Hope in Shadows Exhibition Support (Additional Hours Available)
- Arrange framing of 30 finalist photos
- Confirm photographer’s consent and arrange photographer and subject payments
- Coordinate exhibition installation and strike with Heart of the City programmers
- Coordinate opening event with the Development Coordinator, Operations Coordinator and Heart of the City Programmers
Requirements – the right candidate will tick these boxes
- Compassionate, respectful and non-judgmental approach (you will be working with people who may have multiple barriers, including health challenges, addictions, homelessness and trauma)
- Outgoing, confident, and enthusiastic
- Experience handling cash
- Independent, self-starting problem-solver
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills. Ability to comfortably interact with people of all ages, economic status, and cultural backgrounds.
- A valid Class 5 driver’s license and comfort driving regularly in city traffic, and familiarity with driving routes around Vancouver
- Ability to lift 25-50 lb (10-25 kilos) frequently
- Effective time management, detail-oriented organization and ability to prioritize
- Strong competency with computers, including MS Office (Excel, Word) and Google Suite (Gmail, Calendar, Google Docs)
Ideal Qualifications – the ideal candidate may tick some of these boxes
- Conflict de-escalation training or experience
- Direct experience working with people who are homeless, low-income or otherwise marginalized AND/OR personal experience of homelessness and poverty
- Sales or community organizing training or experience
- Familiarity and experience using database software (we use Nationbuilder and Salesforce)
- Experience with inventory management or basic accounting
- Experience with data input and analysis
- Access to own laptop computer
This is a four month contract position, from late September to mid-late January, with the bulk of hours between October 1 and December 31, 2019.
DEADLINE: Deadline for applications is September 22nd, 2019 at 11:59 PM.
Interviews: We expect to conduct interviews for this position the week of September 23rd. In the event we choose to invite candidates to a second round, we will do so before September 27th.
Expected Start Date: September 30, 2019 or as soon as possible after.
Please send us your resume and a brief cover letter in PDF form to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the position title and your name as the email subject line. In these documents please demonstrate how you meet the requirements for this role.
Please follow the format ProgramAssistant_firstname_lastname to name your resume and cover letter file (e.g. ProgramAssistant_Jane_Smith.pdf)
If we can provide any accommodations to make our hiring process more accessible for you or if you have any ideas for improving our hiring process, please reach out at email@example.com directly. We'd be happy to do our best to set you up for success.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working with Megaphone. Only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
Megaphone promotes a workplace that actively seeks to include, welcome and value unique contributions of all people. We particularly encourage people of colour, First Nations, Métis and Inuit people, people with lived experience of poverty, homelessness, and social exclusion, people with disability, and LGBTQ-identified people to apply for this job.
Not certain your credentials are a 100% match with the position description? Please apply anyway! We are looking to find the right person for our team, with relevant skills and experience who is willing to learn and work with us – not a mandatory checklist against the position itself.
Sign up for Megaphone updates to make sure you don't miss a posting!