“It feels awesome to get your photo in the calendar because when you strive for something and get accepted, it gives you more pride.” Vendor Peter T.
Megaphone hosts an annual photo contest in Victoria and Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside each June. It is open to all Megaphone vendors. Single-use film cameras are distributed to Megaphone vendors and they are given a couple days to capture images the represent hope in their community. The top photos become Hope in Shadows, which is sold alongside the magazine. Vendors buy Hope in Shadows for $10 and sell it for $20
We believe in the power of stories to create connection and to transform lives. Hope in Shadows is a community-driven project that uses photography as a vehicle for people living in poverty to share their stories and to represent their community on their own terms.
Where & When
· Hope in Shadows is sold in Vancouver, Victoria and online
· Over 10,000 copies sold every year
· Launched in mid- October
BRINGING THIS TO LIFE
What We bring:
The community, the promotion, vendor support and the heavy lifting.
While this will be a team effort in so many ways, Megaphone will take care of the heavy lifting, the pre-and-post launch event, and sales season promotional strategy and execution, access to our community, and then working together to spread the content we capture across BC.
· Launch event planning and execution
· Digital asset
· Sales distribution to over 10,000 customers
What We Need:
A group of partners committed to working together toward this vision:
While we will take care of the heavy lifting and execution, this will need to be a unified effort among some of Vancouver’s greatest companies and organizations:
· Cover funding for hard costs (cameras, printing Hope in Shadows, promotion, vendor training, calendar execution management)
· Amplify the cause (increase awareness, bring your core competencies to make this special)
· Build a team of champions (volunteers and staff across all locations)
We aren’t going to tell you what you need from us. Once we know your budget and what promotional material would be most beneficial for you, we will create a tailored package for your organization or business.
What we can offer your team:
Advertisement/ Logo display
· Logo displayed as a sponsor for 1 month of the calendar
· Logo displayed in special sponsor page of the calendar with a write up about your organization
· Logo displayed in Megaphone magazine sponsors section
· Logo displayed on Megaphone website
· Logo displayed at launch event (press release, signs, slides, program)
· Thanks online, on Megaphone website, at the launch event
· Thanks on social media networks (~12,000 followers)
· Up to 40 complimentary copies of Hope in Shadows
· Yearly Megaphone subscription
Participation/ Speaking opportunities
· Invitation to Hope in Shadows launch event where a member from your organization will present an award to winning vendors for your sponsored month
· Invitation to participate as Guest Vendor at Megaphone’s Big Sell, where community leaders come together for one hour to sell Megaphone with vendors
What brand integration can look like:
From top-left clockwise:
1. Lead sponsor Vancity representative announcing the winner of the 2017 calendar cover, Vendor Mike M.
2. Sponsor page in 2017 Hope in Shadows calendar.
3. Prominent advertisement for lead sponsor CUPE BC (Canadian Union of Public Employees BC).
4. Prominent advertisement for lead sponsor Vancity in the 2017 Hope in Shadows calendar.
Communications and Development Coordinator
604-255-9701 ext 153
JOIN THESE CHAMPIONS
Champion Community Builders
Willow Grove Foundation