Thank you for your interest in working with Megaphone.
This is a full-time position that oversees the vendor program in Vancouver and Victoria.
The Vendor Coordinator supports people who are homeless and low income, to earn an income by selling Megaphone magazine, Hope in Shadows calendar and other Megaphone products. This role oversees Megaphone’s vendor program in Vancouver and maintains the vendor program in Victoria. The coordinator recruits and trains vendors, delivers direct vendor service and support, and fulfills administrative, communication, and inter-organizational tasks. Work is conducted in concert with the magazine and Hope in Shadows production and requires coordination with all other areas of the organization.
The Vendor Coordinator is based out of Megaphone’s office in the Downtown Eastside of Vancouver and reports to the Executive Director.
We’re looking for:
Someone who can balance the need to prioritize and get things done with the need to work in a good way in community. The right candidate will be energized by people, great at building relationships, and able to adapt to situations on the fly. This program has room for creative problem solving, and needs someone self-motivated who is able to work independently while coordinating efficiently with other staff. We’re looking to grow and support more vendors, and it will take creativity, trial-and-error, and an ability to stay focused on organizational priorities to do that.
Direct Vendor Service.
- Lead and resource other staff to lead orientations for new vendors
- Offer coaching and sales support to vendors
- Identify and explore new opportunities for the vendor program
- Organize and host monthly vendor meetings
- Administer vendor incentives
- Resolve vendor conflicts, concerns and Code of Conduct issues
- Recruitment and Retention.
- Outreach to and recruitment of new vendors
- Implement retention strategies for new vendors, including peer mentorships, skills-development workshops, and the vendor gear program
- Support existing vendors to meet their Megaphone goals
- Organize vendor team-building events, such as a summer BBQ or winter holiday party
- Develop new sales locations for vendors through community outreach
- Lead team sales meetings, to generate coordinated sales strategies
- Support the Operations Manager to track and analyze vendor sales and product inventory
- Support the Operations Manager to manage vendor payouts through the Megaphone App/online sales
- Manage, track, and replenish vendor gear inventory, within budgetary constraints
- Update best practices and policy documents as needed
- Maintain and administer vendor ‘Assigned Sales Locations’
- Contribute vendor social media content and communications
- Document vendor incidents and track disciplinary records
- Support vendor depot coordination in collaboration with the Operations Manager
- Attend regular staff meetings
- Represent Megaphone at public events
- Voice vendor needs at organizational meetings
- Participate in organizational strategic planning
These are the non-negotiables. You’ll need these to succeed.
- Direct experience working with people who are homeless and/or low-income, and/or experience working with marginalized populations
- Compassionate, respectful, and non-judgmental approach to working with people experiencing multiple barriers
- Outgoing, confident, and enthusiastic
- Motivated self-starter
- Creative problem-solver
- Excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage competing priorities
- Strong competency with computers, including Google Drive (Docs, Sheets) and social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- A valid full Class 5 driver’s license
- Ability to regularly lift and carry 25-50 lb (10-25 kilos)
The right candidate will tick some of these boxes, but there’s room to grow in the position. Don’t feel like you need all these to apply.
- Conflict de-escalation training or experience
- Sales and or/community organizing training or experience
- Group facilitation or teaching experience
- Experience setting and enforcing boundaries
- Experience using database software (we use Nationbuilder and Salesforce)
Megaphone recognizes the importance of an inclusive workplace and a diverse workforce. We welcome and encourage all people to apply, including people of diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds; LGBTQ2+ identified persons; women; people with disabilities; and people with lived experience of issues on which Megaphone is working to change the public conversation, such as poverty, mental illness and homelessness.
Salary: $45,000-$49,000 commensurate with experience
Closing Date: April 30, 2021
To Apply: Please send a single PDF of your resume and cover letter with your full name and “Vendor Coordinator” as the subject of the email to [email protected] Please name your PDF file following the format: “FirstnameLastname_VendorCoordinator.pdf”
We thank all applicants for their interest in working with Megaphone. Only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.