Thank you for your interest in working with Megaphone.
Megaphone is an award-winning social enterprise that provides economic opportunities and platforms to amplify the voices of people experiencing poverty and homelessness in Vancouver and Victoria.
Megaphone is a small, but feisty organization that works with more than 200 people marginalized by poverty in British Columbia every year through its vendor, speakers bureau and writing workshop programs. We are committed to empowering people and creating social change in our communities.
The Vendor Program Support role is a temporary, full-time contract position with Megaphone in Vancouver. The position will work directly with vendors—people who are homeless and low income, who sell Megaphone Magazine and the Hope in Shadows calendar to earn income. You will work with the Operations Manager and Megaphone staff to support vendors to sell Megaphone and Hope in Shadows, provide direct vendor services, manage calendar and magazine inventory, manage Megaphone’s online store, and fulfill administrative, communication, and inter-organizational tasks. This role is based out of Megaphone’s Downtown Eastside Vancouver office.
Hours of work: Full-time, 40hrs/week, from late September 2021 to mid-to-late January 2022. A portion of hours will involve working from home.
Notice to applicants regarding COVID: Megaphone observes a 4-phase COVID-19 safety plan that mirrors the Province of BC’s Restart Plan. Should BC reenter Phase 1 or 2 of the Restart Plan, staff roles and Megaphone’s vendor program will be adjusted accordingly, while community transmission remains high.
Direct Vendor Services
- Organize logistics for vendor support and events, including weekly/monthly meetings, workshops, and the Vendor Holiday Dinner
- Resolve vendor conflicts, disputes, concerns, and Code of Conduct issues
- Offer coaching and sales support to vendors
- On-site visits to vendor sales locations to support vendors
- Identify and develop new sales locations for vendors
- Support outreach efforts to recruit new vendors (postering, flyering, events)
- Support and lead vendor trainings and orientation
- Perform vendor communication duties (e.g., phone calls)
- Support the management of Megaphone’s Victoria vendor program. This may involve travel to Victoria.
Sales Depot Administration
- Coordinate distribution of calendars and magazines to Megaphone’s 10+ depots around Vancouver and Victoria.
- Perform data input and assessment and manage detailed inventory records
- Manage cash from depot sales
- Deliver calendars to depots by car. This position requires frequent delivery driving around the city of Vancouver and frequent heavy lifting (25-50lbs)
- Manage Megaphone’s online store
- Package and ship orders
- Customer service
- Generate sales reports
Administration and Organizational Support
- Operate sales desk (where vendors purchase product) and keep accurate records
- Complete cashouts
- Attend regular staff meetings
- Support organizational events and fundraisers as needed
- Voice vendor needs at organizational meetings
- Support the Operations Manager to manage vendor payouts through the Megaphone App/online sales
Requirements – the right candidate will tick these boxes
- Compassionate, respectful and non-judgmental approach (you will be working with people who may have multiple barriers, including health challenges, addictions, homelessness and trauma)
- Outgoing, confident, and enthusiastic
- Experience handling cash
- Independent, self-starting problem-solver
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills. Ability to comfortably interact with people of all ages, economic status, and cultural backgrounds.
- A valid Class 5 driver’s license and comfort driving regularly in city traffic, and familiarity with driving routes around Vancouver
- Ability to lift 25-50 lb (10-25 kilos) frequently
- Effective time management, detail-oriented organization and ability to manage competing priorities
- Strong competency with computers, including MS Office (Excel, Word) and Google Suite (Gmail, Calendar, Google Docs)
Ideal Qualifications – the ideal candidate may tick some of these boxes
- Conflict de-escalation training or experience
- Direct experience working with people who are homeless, low-income or otherwise marginalized AND/OR personal experience of homelessness and poverty
- Experience setting and enforcing boundaries
- Sales or community organizing training or experience
- Group facilitation or teaching experience
- Familiarity and experience using database software (we use Nationbuilder and Salesforce)
- Experience with inventory management or basic accounting
- Experience with data input and analysis
This is a four month contract position, from late September to mid-late January
Expected Start Date: September 20, 2020 or as soon as possible after.
Please send us your resume and a brief cover letter in a single PDF form to [email protected], with the position title and your name as the email subject line. In these documents please demonstrate how you meet the requirements for this role.
Please follow the format ProgramSupport_firstname_lastname to name your resume and cover letter file (e.g. ProgramSupport_Jane_Smith.pdf)
If we can provide any accommodations to make our hiring process more accessible for you or if you have any ideas for improving our hiring process, please reach out at [email protected] directly. We'd be happy to do our best to set you up for success.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working with Megaphone. Only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
Megaphone promotes a workplace that actively seeks to include, welcome and value unique contributions of all people. We particularly encourage people of colour, First Nations, Métis and Inuit people, people with lived experience of poverty, homelessness, and social exclusion, people with disability, and LGBTQ-identified people to apply for this job.
Not certain your credentials are a 100% match with the position description? Please apply anyway! We are looking to find the right person for our team, with relevant skills and experience who is willing to learn and work with us – not a mandatory checklist against the position itself.