Thank you for your interest in working with Megaphone.
The Writing Workshop Facilitator is a contract role. This position is responsible for planning and facilitating Megaphone’s weekly, 1-hour creative writing workshop at Onsite Detox and Transitional Housing Program at 139 E Hastings, open to residents in the Onsite facility. The role will report to Megaphone’s Managing Editor.
This role requires a thoughtful, creative, and supportive facilitator with strong writing, group work, and communication skills who is comfortable and familiar with working alongside people with multiple barriers including poverty, addictions, and mental and physical health challenges. This role is based in Vancouver.
- Plan engaging and creative workshops for participants
- Facilitate weekly writing workshops
- Keep accurate records of workshop participation
Communication with Managing Editor and Host Organization
- Work with participants to edit and prepare their writing for submission
- Submit participant writing for possible publication in Megaphone, as requested by participants
- Review consent forms with participants to ensure they are fully aware of the implications, risks and benefits, of submitting their writing for publication, employing the principles of informed consent
- Collect and forward to Megaphone editor signed writer consent form with any submissions
- Support Editor to communicate with participants when their work is being published
- Communicate accurate data on workshop attendance to Editor
- Maintain open communication with host organization staff and raise any questions or relay information to Editor as needed
Required Qualifications: These are the non-negotiables. You’ll need these to succeed.
- Encouraging, welcoming, and inclusive approach to writing;
- Reliable and punctual, able to commit to weekly or biweekly workshop;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Intermediate computer skills (Eg. email, word processor, Google Docs)
- Compassionate, respectful, and non-judgmental approach to working with people experiencing multiple barriers (mental health challenges; addictions; homelessness; trauma; varied literacy levels; drug use);
- Understanding of trauma-informed approaches to teaching and learning;
- Comfort managing social conflict in small groups, and asking for support from staff when needed
- Experience hosting and/or participating in a writing group;
- A passion for the written word;
- Writing experience: previously published or with a demonstrated passion for creative or journalistic writing;
- Working knowledge of different writing styles and confidence to explain them clearly.
Ideal Qualifications: The right candidate will tick some of these boxes, but don’t feel you need all of these to apply.
- Experience or training to work with people who are experiencing poverty or barriers, or personal lived experience of poverty/homelessness;
- Conflict de-escalation training or experience;
- Nonviolent communication training or experience;
- Knowledge of and experience with a variety of teaching and learning methods, including group facilitation;
- Experience using creative writing prompts;
- Experience working collaboratively with writers to edit and prepare their work for publication;
- Post-secondary education in literature, English, communications or any other related degree;
- Knowledge of Megaphone magazine and the stories it covers.
Megaphone recognizes the importance of an inclusive workplace and a diverse workforce. We welcome and encourage all people to apply, including people of diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds; LGBTQ2+ identified persons; women; people with disabilities; and people with lived experience of issues on which Megaphone is working to change the public conversation: such as poverty, mental illness, homelessness, or our colonial legacy.
Hours: Every Thursday at 7pm. Please note: Megaphone will consider hiring 2 facilitators to alternate weeks, so that each facilitator would run two workshops per month.
Pay: $50 per 1h workshop facilitated, inclusive of prep and editing time.
Closing Date: Open until filled
To Apply: Please send a single PDF of your resume and cover letter with your full name and “CREATIVE WRITING WORKSHOP FACILITATOR” as the subject of the email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please name your PDF file following the format “WritingWorkshopFacilitator_FirstnameLastname.pdf”
We thank all applicants for their interest in working with Megaphone. Only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.